【AI前沿】Bungie gives up on Destiny
GamingEntertainmentNewsBungie gives up on DestinyDestiny 2’s final update will launch on June 9th, and the game will remain playable after that date.Destiny 2’s final update will launch on June 9th, and the game will remain playable after that date.byJay PetersMay 21, 2026, 5:48 PM UTCLinkShareGiftImage: BungieJay Petersis a senior reporter covering technology, gaming, and more. He joined The Verge in 2019 after nearly two years at Techmeme.Bungie is moving on fromDestiny 2. The studio announced Thursday that it’s releasing the last major update for the game on June 9th as its focus “turns towards a new beginning for Bungie.” After that final update, the game will remain playable, much like the firstDestiny.“Many changes in this final update will aim to ensure thatDestiny 2is a welcoming place for players to return to,” Bungie says.RelatedLive-service games are a messMarathon is in a sprintBungie might get hit with “a significant number” of layoffs now that Destiny 2 is wrapping up.Theannouncement posthas a lot of information about what will be added to this final update, and up to and shortly after launch, Bungie will share more details about the changes. But after that, its weekly blog entries will “be entering a form of hibernation as well,” and the studio says that when it has more news aboutDestiny, “you’ll be the first to know.” Bungie released the firstDestiny— its big bet afterHalo— in 2014, and it launchedDestiny 2in 2017.The studio isn’t getting out of the live-service space, however. Earlier this year, Bungie released theextraction shooterMarathon, and while it hasn’t been quite as big a deal as Destiny 2 in its heyday, the game has been well-received. But it appears that the studio’s next title will be something new and not in theDestinyuniverse. “The unknown can sometimes feel wild, even a bit scary at times, but these opportunities to explore the future are invigorating,” Bungie says. “As we look ahead, our commitment remains the same: to make games we, and you, are excited to play.”Sony acquired Bungie for $3.6 billionin 2022, and Bungie has had a rough go of things in the years since,including layoffsand adelay forMarathon.Sony acquired the company while it was in the midst of its big live service push that it hasscaled back significantly, and live service games in general aresomething of a mess right now.Follow topics and authorsfrom this story to see more like this in your personalized homepage feed and to receive email updates.Jay PetersEntertainmentGamingNewsPlayStationMost PopularMost Popular‘Fuck you, Bambu’: How one private message could change the face of 3D printingGitHub faces a fight for its survival at MicrosoftThe new Flipper One is a pocket-sized Linux computerGoogle is launching its own version of OpenClawBungie gives up on DestinyThe Verge DailyA free daily digest of the news that matters most.Email (required)Sign UpBy submitting your email, you agree to ourTermsandPrivacy Notice.This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the GooglePrivacy PolicyandTerms of Serviceapply.Advertiser Content FromThis is the title for the native ad