【AI前沿】Trump FCC asks public to comment on whether ABC's The View is a news show
Views onThe ViewTrump FCC asks public to comment on whether ABC’sThe Viewis a news showFCC seeks opinions on whether ABC show’s decisions are “based on newsworthiness.”Jon Brodkin–May 22, 2026 5:10 pm|53FCC Chairman Brendan Carr speaks on stage during the Concordia Annual Summit on September 22, 2025 in New York City.Credit:
Getty Images | John LamparskiFCC Chairman Brendan Carr speaks on stage during the Concordia Annual Summit on September 22, 2025 in New York City.Credit:
Getty Images | John LamparskiText
settingsStory textSizeSmallStandardLargeWidth*StandardWideLinksStandardOrange* Subscribers onlyLearn moreMinimize to navThe Federal Communications Commission is escalating its attack on ABC’sThe Viewwith a proceeding that seeks public comment on whether the talk show is a “bona fide news interview program.”The FCC Media Bureau today issued apublic noticeseeking opinions on whetherThe Viewqualifies for the bona fide news exemption to the equal-time rule, which requires equal time for opposing political candidates on non-news programming. The probe ofThe Viewis driven by Chairman Brendan Carr, who hasembraced President Trump’s declarationthat the FCC is no longer an independent agency and used his chairmanship to open investigations into broadcasters that Trump dislikes.“Decades ago, Congress made the decision to prevent covered broadcast television programs from being used to advance certain partisan political purposes,” the Media Bureau public notice said. The equal-time rule exists to prevent broadcast television stations “from unfairly putting their thumbs on the scale for one political candidate or set of candidates over another,” and “to ensure that no legally qualified candidate for office is unfairly given less access to the public airwaves than their opponent,” it said.The FCC notice invited the public to comment on whetherThe View’s decisions on show format and participants are “based on newsworthiness or on an attempt to oppose or support particular candidates within the meaning of FCC precedent.”This isn’t the only case of Carr targeting the Disney-owned ABC. Carrthreatened ABC station licensesin September 2025, alleging that airing Jimmy Kimmel’s show might violate therarely enforced news distortion policy. Last month, Carrordered an unusual reviewof ABC’s broadcast licenses over allegations that its diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) practices violate anti-discrimination rules.Democratic FCC Commissioner Anna Gomezsaidthe invitation for public comment onThe Viewshows that “the FCC is once again targeting an administration critic by mob rule. Let’s not pretend this FCC hasn’t already made up its mind. All they want is for their pro-censorship partisan allies to nod in agreement. My message to Disney: Don’t flinch. Fight.”The Viewwon exemption in 2002The Media Bureau public notice did not mention that the FCC has consistently given bona fide exemptions to entertainment programsfor over 40 years. Exemptions were handed out to shows hosted by Phil Donahue, Sally Jessy Raphael, Jerry Springer, Bill Maher, Jay Leno, and Howard Stern.The Viewitself won a bona fide news exemption from the FCC in 2002, during President George W. Bush’s first term. Strictly speaking, programs are not required to obtain these exemptions in order to interview political candidates. A program can be exempt from the rule if it meets the qualifications, regardless of whether it seeks a formal decision from the FCC.The current review ofThe View‘s exemption was triggered recently when the FCC Media Bureau ordered an ABC station to file a new petition for a declaratory ruling onThe View’s status. ABC responded by filing a petitionarguing that the FCC is overstepping its authorityand violating the First Amendment rights of broadcasters.ABC’s filingsaid the FCC has long used a three-part test to determine whether an interview is a bona fide news interview. These factors are “(1) whether the program is regularly scheduled; (2) whether the broadcaster or an independent producer controls the program; and (3) whether the broadcaster’s or independent producer’s decisions on format, content, and participants are based on newsworthiness rather than on an intention to advance or harm an individual’s candidacy,” ABC said.The FCC’s 2002 determination “has remained unchallenged and unchanged since that time and, to this day,The Viewremains fully qualified for the exemption under the applicable legal standards,” ABC said.Today’s FCC Media Bureau public notice described the 2002 ruling as “a letter from an FCC staffer.” The ABC petition said the 2002 letter was “a Declaratory Ruling from the Mass Media Bureau,” which “remains in full force and effect.”ABC challenges legality of equal-time ruleBesides asking for comment on whetherThe Viewis a bona fide news show, the FCC proceeding offers an opportunity for people to comment on whether the equal-time rule itself is constitutional. ABC’s